Monday, August 6, 2012

Lacemaking Saints

Dear readers, I need to ask you a question- do you know of any patron saints of lacemaking?  I am working on a design that will incorporate religious medals and would like to use patron saints of lacemaking and needlework.  The only one I know of is St. Catherine of Alexandria.  I'm sure there are others.  Also, where is a good online site to purchase religious medals- preferrably sterling silver?  Please leave a comment or click the contact me button to email me.  Thanks!

I have been putting together goodies for the upcoming blogversary giveaway.  The thing that I'm still mulling over is whether I should do each prize by color or theme.  Any thoughts?

We did not play in the Jeep much this weekend as Jim decided we had oodles of yard work and fall garden prep to take care of.  It was very dusty, hot & uncomfortable.  We put ice in the dogs' water bowls while we were outside & they really seemed to appreciate it.  Even though it was hot, Lily Fey had to help me hang out clothes, pull up dead plants & she even brought me a goody- her slobber covered tennis ball.  We played fetch until I was tired then retreated into the cool of the house.  I was basically worthless the rest of the day.

The one big thing I did do was to finish embellishing a vintage brooch for the Camo Couture collection (debuting in late Spetember or early October).  I also made progress on getting the patterns transcribed from my scribbling for the Romance of the Piney Woods Pattern Collection.  Patterns will be available later this month.

Sorry for the lack of images.  It was hot out & I was too lazy to get out in it more than was absolutely necessary.  I will have some new eye candy up on the blog tomorrow for your enjoyment.  Well, I'm off to the Atelier.  Have a great day & until tomorrow~
Happy Tatting!


8 comments:

  1. I had read this about Catherine of Alexandria : http://asksistermarymartha.blogspot.com/2011/06/spinning-tale-of-st-catherine.html
    And this one:

    http://catholicetsyartists.blogspot.com/2010/08/st-john-francis-regis-patron-saint-of_29.html
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I'm going to spend some thime this evening researching the patron saints and greatly appreciate the links!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing what you are working on, sorry I can't help you with any lace saints
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to a short list of patron saints of lacemakers. http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00415.htm I noticed that St. Anne, mother of the Blessed Mother, is not on this list. St. Regis is most interesting. He helped to keep girls from "going to the city" by setting them up in lacemaking.
    Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemarie! I'll have to check out St. Regis while doing my research. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. here is a good link to several patron saints of lacemakers.
    http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00415.htm
    ST Sebastian is on that brings a giggle to me as well as my priest. He was a martyr and had been shot full of arrows, apparently someone thought that he looked like the pillow full of pins that is used in bobbin lace, and he was named the patron saint for lace workers and lace makers. poor guy.
    you can buy a sterling silver St Sebastian medal here http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=103 and they may have the other saints as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladytats, I love the story of St. Sebastian! Thanks for the links. I think I may have a couple St. Sebastian religious cards in my collection. Aren't there a couple different St. Sebastians? It seems as though I recall reading about one who was the patron saint of weavers/flax workers or something along those lines.

      Delete
  5. Okay while trying to re-find a site on St John Francic Regis I found this http://saints.sqpn.com/pst00415.htm It list all the saints that aid lacemakers!

    I've seen both Cathrine and St.John Francis Regis named as the patron saint of lacemakers.

    Also, I came across this http://www.csjla.org/default.aspx Apparently the Sister's of St. Joseph of Carondelet use bobbin lace making as a both a money maker and a form of meditation.

    ReplyDelete