Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!

Good morning, dear readers!  To all of you here in the USA,
Happy Memorial Day!!!

For those of you who do not know what a special day it is, this is the day we take to remember all of those who have died for our freedom.  It is a time of rememberance and a time for family.  Many will be celebrating with picnics, cooking out, or going to special memorial events.

We will be cooking out, spending time together and remembering those family members who have served our country and are no longer with us.

Jim will be grilling chicken breasts, steaks, and pork chops and I will be making the following dishes:


Fresh snap beans from our garden, seasonsed with onion, cilantro, oregano, homemade bacon bits and cut-up turnip greens.  I harvested the snap beans, onion, and turnip greens from our garden very early this morning.  The beans were snapped, onion and greens cut up, and all were added to a single bowl.  I then went to the herb garden and snipped some cilantro and oregano.  They were then cut up and mixed along with the bacon bits I make myself and keep in the fridge.  Water will later be added & I'll slow cook the mix on the stove for about an hour.


The other special dish I'm preparing is my own version of Southern fried squash.  I harvested 5 small crookneck squash from the garden, thin sliced them, then added oinions, cilantro, oregano and a small hint of mint.  The squash will then be dipped in a mixture of cornmeal and bisquik.  It will then be fried in a shallow fry pan of extra virgin olive oil.  When the squash is a light golden color, it's done.  Then it will be very well drained and blotted with paper towels.

Of course, I'll make a huge pan of cornbread, too.  The blueberries are ripening and I hope to have enough to bake a cobbler later.

Well, I had better get busy.  As you can tell, I've a lot of cooking to do! 
May you have a wonderful Memorial Day!
Until tomorrow~
Happy Tatting!







No comments:

Post a Comment