Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oops & Ahhs

Today started off with lots of tatting, but after putting much effort into the next round on the Valdani Olive motif, I just was NOT satisfied.  It did not look as good as it should.  So... I cut the entire round off and am going to try a different approach.  I would not want to subject your eyes to the horror I had tatted.  It was not up to my standards and is now a pile of tiny pieces at the bottom of the trash can.  Not to worry- the first few rounds are intact and are on the blocking board in preparation for my next attempt.  If I do not have something to show you on it tomorrow, it will be completed over the weekend.  This was my "BIG OOPS".

On a positive note, I have been tatting with the new Valdani Luxury Pearl Silk.  Ahhh!  This is the most fantastic silk I have ever tatted with!!!  I am loving it.  It is pure tatting joy.  Since this put me in a much better mood, I decided to share one of my pendant/brooch/ornament patterns with you- step 1 of it today.
This is a motif of 8 interlocking chain-rings.  I used Valdani Luxury Pearl Silk in color S 49 "Subtle Elegance", a size 8 tatting needle, 8 fresh green silver lined size 11 seed beads, and 16 size 11 Ornela seed beads in cream pearl.  The counts are 17 - (with cream pearl, green, cream pearl seed beads) 17 CL.  Continue for a count of 8 interlocking chain-rings.  Step 2 (which includes the next round and center accents) will be on tomorrow's post as I have hidden my Akoya cultured pearls from myself- second "Oops" of the day.  I was planning to use one for the center accent of the pendant.  My bead boxes and cabinets will be turned inside-out tonight until I find them!
Tatting with this silk was one of my "Ahhh" moments today.

 And here is my other "Ahh"- the next inspiration for a larger tatted piece.  My daughter loves to collect large white oak acorns in our woods and is always bringing me "treasures".  I threw one in with my new thread order as I was taking images yesterday and was struck by how well the Valdani pearl cotton in M1000 "Lime Sand" went with it.  The antique button in the upper left is carved brown lip shell.  The pattern on it is similar to acorn caps.  This will probably be incorporated into the piece as well as some beads and pearls.  Between this project and the Olive motif, I think I have plenty to do this weekend.  Now that you know what I shall be doing- what are you tatting this weekend?

Let's hope I'll have more to show for my tatting time tomorrow than I did today.  The finished silk piece will be up and there may be another of my "treats" offered- who knows???

The October Piney Woods Event is still going on.  To be eligible you must be a follower of my blog.  To do this just click on the google "Join this Site" button to the right of the blog just below the poll.  If you have any problems, please contact me and I'll do my best to help.  Sign-up deadline is October 24th.  The winner will be chosen via a random number generator and notified by email first thing Tuesday, October 25th.  I usually notify the winner NLT 8:30 AM CST. 

Until tomorrow~
Happy Tatting!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try the silk threads you are working with!!! And I cann't wait to see what you come up with for the square motif!!
    See you tomorrow!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried tatting with silk thread yet, but I'm intrigued. Your piece looks wonderful. Maybe once my budget recovers.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tatting with silk threads too and I love it like you, specially when I'm tatting small pieces. Wonderful work of you. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried to tat with silk thread, I love your pattern and it looks lovely, perhaps one day I will try and tat with silk. Your tatting is always lovely and I love your patterns.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete