Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Subtle Elegance Pendant Foundation

I began work this morning on a Valdani Luxury Pearl Silk pendant.  The color is S 49 "Subtle Elegance".   I rarely tat with any white as it just is not me, but I do love the slight color variations in this lovely silk.  The name certainly suits in this case.


Using a small 4-hole vintage button, the counts are as follows:
R5-5+ to button 5-5 CL RW
CH 9- (with seed bead, 3mm Swarovski, seed bead) 9 CL RW
R5+10-5 CL RW
Continue around button alternating R counts, joining every other R to button.  Final count is 8 Rs & CHs.
Tie & cut, hide ends.
This piece is now ready for further embellishment.  Additional rounds will be tatted and a center Akoya pearl accent will be attached.  I'll post the finished piece later in the week.

The above is the sort of foundation I use when adding more rounds and layers of tatting.  It provides more support and places for anchoring tatting.

Here is another option for a pendant using the same Valdani silk:


This uses an identical button and has the same number of Rs & CHs.  The counts for this option are:
R9+ to button 9 CL RW
CH 9- (with seed bead, 3mm Swarovski, seed bead) 9 CL RW
Continue around button, joining each R to button. 
Tie & cut, hide ends.

The second option is the foundation I use when adding lots of picot laden chains to form a fluffy center.

I hope you enjoy these foundations and add to them as it suits you.  Use your own creativity to produce something amazing and unique to you!  Everyone tats a bit differently from others and that is one of the things that makes it so beautiful and fascinating.

If you would like color suggestions, I really like this Valdani Luxury Pearl Silk in S 49 "Subtle Elegance", but also recommend the Valdani colorfast hand-dyed pearl cotton in O 538 "Cottage Smoke".  These two colors are the whites I use in my tatting.  Neither is actually white, but rather soft, neutral variegations.  For a full view of the Valdani threads and color selections, click over to their website.  You will find a wonderful array of threads and colors!

Guess I had better get back to the pendants.  The beads, Swarovskis and pearls are out and waiting to be added in additional rounds.  May you have a wonderful day doing something creative!
Until tomorrow~
Happy Tatting!




4 comments:

  1. Looking beautiful so far, I have neve tried using a button, I think I must have a go with using one.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. silver elegance, either one will look very nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try the pearl silk, but the one store near me that carries Valdani has a limited supply of the pearl cotton - only. To order directly from Valdani would cost me more that $13.00 for one spool. The shipping cost is almost the same as the price of one spool of their pearl silk. :(
    Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete