Thursday, April 5, 2012

Vintage Tin Find

Jocelin found a gorgeous tin for me on our last antiquing excursion!


The tin is in great shape.  No rust; the hinges are smooth and work well.  But there is one problem:
whoever owned this tin before used it to store crayons.  There are marks all inside and it smells of Crayola.  I do not mind the scent of crayons, but need to figure out how to clean the wax color residue left behind.  Any suggestions?

Well, I have got to run.  The dogs are demanding their walk in the woods.
Have a fantastic day!
Until Good Friday~
Happy Tatting!




6 comments:

  1. I know this sound counter-intuitive but stray furniture polish on the crayon marks and wipe .....the marks should come out.....lovely tin....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly a dry paper towel(which I almost always use to get crayon off something) and maybe some baking soda(dry) you can store some inside for awhile coating the inside to clear the smell, or maybe just use it with water as a paste to try and clean it out. :)
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used a mixture of HHHHOOOOTTTT water & pinesol to get it off of almost every surface in my house. I mix it, spray it on, & wipe it off with one of those scratch free scrubby sponges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A damp cloth and washing up liquid,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tin Rachel! If you can get Orange Clean (which is an Orange Oil Furniture Polish), spray some on the crayon marks and they will come right off. I use this to get all sorts of waxy and sticky things off where they don't belong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If all else fails, you could cover the entire inside with felt...

    ReplyDelete